Indigenous Peoples Policy
April 22nd, 2020
Timiskaming Forest Alliance Inc. (TFAI) recognizes the historical and current use of the land, water and forests by Indigenous people who live in communities on or near the Timiskaming Forest. We respect traditional knowledge and recognize the important cultural, social, economic and environmental contributions that such natural resources located within the Timiskaming Forest contribute to Indigenous people and their communities.
It is TFAI’s Policy to:
1. Recognize and respect the constitutional, legal and treaty rights of Indigenous people
2. Communicate with Indigenous people and their communities on matters related to forest management planning
3. Protect known cultural sites and other values important to Indigenous people
4. Support forest management planning consultation initiatives between government and Indigenous people
5. Share forest management information with Indigenous people in an open and transparent manner as requested by each individual Community
6. Encourage and support the sharing and participation of Indigenous people in economic benefits provided through forest management
It is further resolved:
That the Directors and Shareholders of the Corporation will review this Indigenous Peoples Policy each year and where the Policy will be annually endorsed by the Directors of the Corporation through a formal resolution.
The foregoing resolutions is hereby consented to by the Directors of the Corporation, as evidenced by their signatures on the original document.